NASA won’t fly astronauts on first Orion-SLS test flight around the moon

Source: Space.com

“The first flight of NASA’s next-generation heavy-lift rocket, the Space Launch System (SLS), is now scheduled for 2019 and will not include a human crew, agency officials said today (May 12). As of 2016, NASA had planned for the SLS’ first flight to take place in 2018, without a crew on board. But the transition team that the Trump administration sent to the agency earlier this year asked for an internal evaluation of the possibility of launching a crew atop the SLS inside the agency’s Orion space capsule. Robert Lightfoot, NASA’s acting administrator, said during a news conference today that, based on the results of this internal evaluation, a crewed flight would be ‘technically feasible,’ but the agency will proceed with its initial plan to make the rocket’s first flight uncrewed.” (05/12/17)

http://www.space.com/36823-nasa-astronauts-wont-fly-first-sls-megarocket.html